I am attorney James "Jim" Desmond. I have practiced personal injury law, with a concentration on car wrecks, for over 20 years in Louisville, Kentucky. I handle automobile accidents in both Kentucky and Indiana and my practice has included cases involving truck accidents, slips, falls, dog bites and motorcycle accidents. I am proud to say that a lot of the car accident victims I help, refer their family and friends to my law practice.
If I were like most attorneys on the internet or on television, this is the part wherein I would tell you about my past cases, and the amounts I have recovered for my clients, so you might assume that I can do the same for you. However, in my opinion, that is not how I earn your trust. If you are reading this, chances are you or your family member was involved in an automobile accident or a motorcycle wreck and are facing legal issues that you have never considered before. Very simply, I understand that! I understand the mere fact that you think you need an attorney means that you are facing issues that can be intimidating. Heck, I am an attorney and when I had to consult a divorce attorney, I was intimidated! This is why I give you my cell phone, 502-609-7657, so you can contact me directly and get your questions answered immediately from an experienced lawyer, not a paralegal or a secretary.
When you talk to me, you see and hear my experience. I enjoy what I do so many clients have commented to me that they can see the wheels working in my head contemplating the twenty different ways we can resolve the issues presented by your personal injury claim
When I started my legal career, I worked with the Becker Law Office which was wonderful training as I got to handle more automobile accident cases than your average lawyer. However, I don't agree with the business model of those lawyers who advertise on television. For those lawyers to afford to spend to hundreds of thousands on television advertising, they have to use paralegals and "case managers" for their lawyers to handle a larger than average caseload. I am sorry but if I am going to pay an attorney 33% or more of my personal injury claim, you can be that I want to deal with my attorney and not get second-hand information from a secretary or a paralegal. I want to get the facts of your automobile accident directly from you, not through second-hand information delivered through a paralegal or secretary and I want to know that I have alleviated your concerns through our discussion. I have handled personal injury claims for my parents, my aunt and friends. Also, unfortunately, I had a three-year old daughter pass as well. My point being I am well aware of the stress that injury or death causes to a family and you can bet, I will do my best to help alleviate yours. Why? Because more than anything else, I want you to earn your future business. There is no bigger compliment that can be paid to me than when a past client refers a family member or a friend to my office.
And if I ever find a case is too complicated or involved for just one attorney or lawyer, I do not hesitate to bring in another attorney to act as co-counsel. The attorney’s fee stays the same. You just have two attorneys working on your behalf instead of one. I know good attorneys who handle different areas of the law, (e.g. Worker’s Compensation, Nursing Home Neglect, Legal Malpractice). When a personal injury claim calls for it, I don't hesitate to pull them into the lawsuit. After all, this case is about you and the injuries you sustained in this car wreck or catastrophic event. When your personal injury claim closed, the insurance company, also known as the liability carrier, will move on to the next injury claim. You, on the other hand, have to live with the permanent impairment of your injuries and the adverse effects it had on your family. Therefore, I had better leave you with my best efforts.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Car Wrecks
- Motorcycle Wrecks
- Commercial Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death Cases
- Kentucky, 1993
- Indiana, 1994
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 1993
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- B.A. - May, 1989
- Major: Psychology
- Instructor, Legal Research and Business Law, Sullivan College, 1996
- Instructor, Legal Research and Business Law, Kentucky College of Business, 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisville Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Member
- The American Association for Justice, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Attorney, Becker Law Office, 2001 - 2005, Handling Personal Injury Claims
- Metal Sales Manufacturing, Yellow Ambulance and Yellow Cab Company, Corporate Counsel, 2000 - 2001, Handling legal matters for a self-insured, motor carrier fleet
- Litigation Professional, Sharps & Associates, 1997 - 2000, Handling ERISA subrogation claims on behalf of health insurance carriers
- Clark, Ward & Cave, Associate, 1995 - 1997, Defending Insurance Companies from Personal Injury Claims
- Hollis Searcy & Associates, Associate, 1994 - 1995, Solo, general practice of law
- Judge William Graham, Franklin Circuit Court, Clerk, 1993 - 1994, Assisting a Circuit Court Judge with Memoranda, Pleadings and Opinions